Google Analytics is free Website Data reporting software. is the most popular free tool available to Website owners. It is a piece of software that gives you a snippet of code to place on your web pages. This code then generates cookies that track your website visitors while they are on your site. The information from these visitors is then generated into reports for you to review on the Google Analytics website.
It is free of charge and a must have for every business website. It will tell you information such as;
- How many people visit your website
- How many pages they view
- How long they spend on your site
- How they arrived on your site
- Where they are located geographically
- What kind of device they viewed from, which browser they use, what operating system system
The list is endless. To set it up you first need to;
1. Set up a Gmail Account (Google Email). If you already have one use that.
2. Sign up for Google Analytics using your gmail account login and get your unique tracking code.
3. Place the tracking code on your website pages using an FTP client like Filezilla.
4. Once the code is in place on every page Verify your ownership on the Google Analytics website.
5. Connect your Google Analytics to your Google Webmaster Tools account to enable more reports (see video below the next image)
Setting up a Gmail account takes just a few minutes…
This video shows you how to connect your Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools accounts to enable more reports in Google Analytics…